Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Heroes beyond all bounds

Back in office and here I am kicking back the files and yea enjoying every moment of it. Life had come to a standstill in hospital with thousand and one restrictions (a lot still continuing but happy to be out of hospital). Every time I come out of hospital I feel my life to be more precious and feel much closer to God. So many things one learns in hospital, things otherwise one takes for granted, things one overlooks, it’s just haunting to put it right.
This time I met many who had volumes to tell and tons for me to learn from them. But I will narrate the one which touched me most and left me speechless. The person gave me a reason to live, a reason to fight.
It all began on the breakfast table. I had a very bad night due to pain and I was really cranky that morning. As usual I tried to be as calm and kewl as possible but true colours come out in no time. This officer an Air force guy, a fighter pilot, best in country hence posted in training school and teaching other officers to fly, spoke rudely to the service waiter. I did not like his behaviour but I kept quite not disgracing the officer cadre but I had made my mind to give him a little showdown hearing. So I caught him at the ambulance while going for X-ray and explained him that his behaviour at the dining room was quite un officer like. He too took it, as done in services to keep quite when the senior is talking. He was quite a young chap hardly thirty, must have put in around 8 – 10 yrs service.
One fine afternoon I was leisurely enjoying the rains that this officer came to me and sat next to me as quite as a statue. I too was cautious and did not want to break the silence sensing some problem. After some time he opened up and what he told me made me totally blank, it was as if some lightening has struck me. I did not believe what I just heard and I had no words to say. I just looked at him and thousands of thoughts were just going through my mind. This guy who was just thirty not even married a fighter pilot, one of the best, a instructor in flying academy is sitting next to me silent not because of his ailment but because he knows he will never ever go again in his fighter plane in air again.
He came to know about his disease when he went to his MI room for usual routine blood check up at his duty station in the flying school. There he came to know and he came down to Command hospital to confirm his fate which was sealed in the best of the golden letters which his fate can garnish. This dare devil had leukaemia, blood cancer and me a fool was getting worried about my intestine growth suspected to be cancerous.
How can he be so cool even when he knows that he is just a whisper away from getting his wicket out of this world, how can still he smile when he knows the innumerable needles that are to be inserted in him, how can he still talk with his dad with a smile and how does he manage to laugh still. I call such people one of the bravest and the real heroes who really fight the struggle for life and doing so teaches so many fools like me as to how to live life.
My salutation to you all !!!!!!!!!!!
May God give us all, the strength to keep our fight?
AMEN!!

3 comments:

Soulmate said...

That post was quite a moving one. Hats off to that brave young pilot who is fighting the disease and still lives on with a smile on his face. For a fighter pilot nothing can be more frustrating than to face the disability to not to enter that cockpit again... His frustration will be at the highest level.. But he will fight.. Thats what soldiers are taught..

Anonymous said...

very inspiring incidence...

Anonymous said...

That was really sad..
Every one is going thru their own personal struggles althhough we cant figure it out on the outside