Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why do we fight??????



My 6 years old son Sarang has so many questions to ask on every topic, which he comes across, that at times I really get tired answering his questions and Sheetal my wife will then throw a sheepish smile at me saying yea genius now what is the answer.
On morning of our 60th Independence Day I with my family went to the war memorial at Ghorpadi to pay our tributes to the martyrs. Sarang is so energetic that the moment he is out of the car he will rush out of the car and will try and explore as much as possible. Surprisingly when we arrived at the war memorial he was like a very disciplined soldier. We laid the flowers and wreath and we were strolling in the lane of remembrance when he first shot a question at me. “Baba why have we kept the flowers over here” so I replied it is offering a floral tribute to the martyrs and remembering their deeds and to let there dear ones know that we respect their action and are proud of them.
Next was “What do you mean by martyrs”. So I told him that these people have died in fighting for the cause of our nation and safe guarding the integrity of our country.
Next “But then, why do they have to die”. Cause they have to fight son with the enemy of state I replied .
“ But why they have to fight to solve some problem. You always tell me to request and talk over the problem then why do they have to fight”.
I took a long pause and have to really phase my answer very carefully so as to avoid any further questions from him. Seeing my silence he asked me another question.
“ Baba all the names of the people written on the wall are they all dead”. I said yes but they are not called dead they are said called as martyrs.
Then he just felt quite and was walking slowly on the lane of remembrance.
“ But baba if they were not involved in the fight they would have been alive isn’t it.”
I said very true.
“ Then why did they have to fight, wont it be great that they too would have been walking here today with their children like we are doing if they wouldn’t have fought”.
I just could not answer his question but my eyes were moist and my throat choked and my feet fumbled to now see the same martyrdom with a new perspective. Yes what about their children and family.
But then my son some one has to do the job said I to myself and saw Sheetal who was already in tears cause we soldiers never thing about all this. For us there is nothing more important then Unit izzat and the Country’s honor.May be he must be thinking at times why did his dad too got involved in a fight on that fate full day………may be, so much and more goes on in that little head which is beyond my imagination

No comments: