Thursday, August 30, 2007

Lt Sourabh Kalia My Buddy


Lt Saurabh Kalia or shall I write the hero Lt Saurabh Kalia. He was my neighbour in the Indian military academy, Dehradun. Nice days they were, we all were students or the GCs as we were called meaning Gentleman Cadets.

Saurabh was a very quiet and fun loving person. Always smiling and ready to help others in need. I learnt a lot from him specially he taught having patience to me.

It was in last semester we went for a Chindits camp. As all the camps end this camp was also to end with a run back. Run back, is a competition as to which training company reaches first back to the Academy. In this we are in the battle dress with big back pack with ration the first line ammunition weapon and all the clothes and what ever we carry with us. This camp is of five days and these are the worst days one can have. Our DS were the worst when it came to screwing some ones happiness and they knew exactly as to where and how it pains the most. All nights were a session worth every dogs life on this earth.

On the 3rd and 4th night we had training for the whole night with the art of survival in the jungle covering the major part of the training schedule.

With no sleep for two nights the day of run back came and at around 1230 after lunch our DS gave 1 hour of rest and we were like logs for that one hour. 1500hr our company was lined up for the run back. I was no 1 mortar man and Saurabh the no 2. Tired we all were at around mid night while we were negotiating one of the check point waiting for the complete party to close in, me and Saurabh had enough time to touch our fundamentals on the mother earth. Time flew and before we realized the company came together, control items were checked and we were off for the next checkpoint. We were feeling something light and soon we realized that the mortar bombs were left on the last check point and we have to run back to reach the place were the bombs were left and the whole company was after our blood. There after reaching again the DS at that check point had a nice session of the complete company and then the mortar bombs were returned. From that check point to the next check point I had to carry LMG and that was a real pain but then those were the orders and orders are meant to be obeyed in Army.

Early morning we were to hit the Sheetala mata mandir but it was not traceable. Frustration was high cause precious time was being lost and all were in search of it all and soon there was the cry of joy. Kadam found it and also the check point. The DS was very smart he had camouflaged the place so well that we were unable to see the mandir as well as the place were he was sitting was well concealed. After that then we just ran down like mad dogs. The jungle was still very dark but there was light on the horizon and that was good enough for us to show the general line of direction and we all dead souls were now fully awake cause victory was few check point away and some 20 KM ahead. Finally we reached the long range at around 0930 and were on the battle obstacle course at around 1015. I thing that was the fastest climb I ever did of the Cariappa Bn slope with Mohanty and the SUO giving all the josh and cheering up.

Finished our battle obstacle course then came to long range did our firing and believe me the arms were so tired that it was difficult to even hold the rifle. Soon was the welcome sight the juniors were there they took our weapon to return in the Kote (the only day we were allowed by the kote NCO). Then there was the hero's welcome in the company lines. All our rooms seemed like heaven to us. The table was full of eatables pastry. rum ball . pepsi coke samosa wafers. It is the final camp of the course and after this there is more courteous relationship between the DS and the GCs and the dreaded Bn Adjutant.

Saurabh came to my room and just embraced me and said congrats YO you have done it and I said yes we have done it. Our company came first in the run back and not only this Kohima Company also bagged the best Company Banner on the passing out day. Soon there was a announcement ‘Yos Yos Yos Yos Yos all are requested to be present for Co Co talk and high tea at 1700 at the ante room’.

Our chest was filled with pride now we were soon to be officers of the Indian Army and will lead the best fighting machines in war.

Yea we lead them in war, lost many, many lost limbs, many lost there near and dear ones but we stuck to our aim and brought home the sweet victory. We lived to the tradition of our great Army and brought laurels for our country and the citizens of it. We took bullets and that too on chest and not on our back and are proud of it that we were lucky to have got the chance to shed blood for our mother land.May be some where my great great........ grand fathers who fought along with Shivaji Maharaj must have felt proud of me and must have a hearty time with their friends.

As they say

To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
and how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.

You have done it Sourabh we all are proud of you . some day when I will join you we will have the same old days again . you will always be remembered.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir,

I Tejas Vasant Lele had the previlege of meeting shaheed Lt. Kalia's father when he had come to Mumbai last year. I had requested him to bring a photo of Saurabh which he did'nt forget.

I can't explain the feelings which I have towards them. They are indeed brave to face the reality.

Sir, I request you to tell someting more about Saurabh when you were in the academy.

Regards,

Tejas

Rahul More said...

Hi Tejas,
its really nice to know that you have interest in knowing more about my friend Saurabh. Well to tell you some thing very surprising about this friend of mine is that no one could have said by mere looking at him that he will ever opt for infantry. As they say that looks are deceptive he is the best example of it. A infantrian has a very strong will power to survive so they say. What better way would any body have expected from my friend to proove it. A true soldier has a strong and hard soul to take harsh decisions but at the same time a very kind heart and a very soft person from within. Sourabh was the last person to hurt any body or the feeling of any body. He was a perfect gentleman. I use to always call myself a very junglee fellow in comparison to him cause i use to think at times in a very irrational way, but he was a very well read and a very calculated soldier. The pages will run in volumes Tejas.

In short i can say only this for him that he was a real gem of a person and a real soldier and a thorough gentleman .

Vaibhav said...

hello sir
This is Vaibhav, i am younger brother of Capt. Saurabh Kalia. It was really nice of Mr. Tejas to forward this blog to me ( thanx tejas).
My email is tonytons@gmail.com / vaibhavkalia@hotmail.com
surely i would really like to write to you!
Please write in a line on the address above & I would write you a mail!
We all in Palampur would be really happy to know more about time spent by saurabh @IMA
Best regards & Thank you for such a wonderful post! I felt like as i was also around there, while reading!
thanks & greetings
Vaibhav

Unknown said...

Rahul Sir,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Sir, I do request you the same thing as Vaibhav bhaiya has mentioned of your days in IMA with Saurabh bhaiya. I know it will be too long for you to write here but still if you can share a few moments it will be great for all of us.

regards,

TEJAS

rp said...

Its very touching to read this all, well i had spent some good time with saurabh in kota(we were in same class/school that time), well after schooling we were not in touch but one fine day when i saw his pic in newspaper beleive i was deeply hurt .......

rashi said...

hi sir...this is rashi....
what i can say is that..this is sumthing very beautifull ,that you are trying to keep him alive in many young minds through this blog....
keep up..!!
i was highly impressed ay such a gesture and read everything in this blog about him and you....

thnx..:)

Unknown said...

Dear Rahul and others,

The media might forget, but a large number of ordinary Indians will carry Capt. Saurabh Kalia always in their hearts. I often think of myself as a cynic who has seen and heard it all (having spent 48 years in this world!) but my chest swells with pride and I walk a little straighter back when I remember that even in these times when everything has a price and nothing has value, India still produces young men who would be the envy of any nation in the world.

Girish

dipankar naik said...

Hello,

Please get hold of the Pakistani regiment's name who held Capt Saurabh Kalia and his men captive and bomb them into oblivion. Soldiers u kill but barbarians should be vaporised.

saloni said...

Hi !
The knowledge of this incident of torture has changed my life.There is a restlessness I can't get rid of. Only to take this matter forward I have joined a course in Human Rights.I will try my level best to have bring this issue on an international front.If our Armymen can die to save our country the citizens will not shrink from fighting for their rights either.

abhishek said...

Jai Hind!
I am just an ordinary Indian, a real small person in comparison to these bravehearts Like Capt. Kalia. It's because of your sacrifice, we all sleep peacefully...You gave your today for our tomorrow and as a fellow citizen of India, I feel proud. I feel proud to tell my friends here at France, see these are the true heroes of India and not those whom you watch on T.V. I always wanted to done the Olive Green, but sadly I couldn't manage. This is my promise to Mother India, my son will join the Indian Army.
My regards for those parents, those family members of these soldiers who put down their lives without a moments hesitation.
I salute you.

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
I am Alok. Ever since I read about Lt. Saurabh Kalia and his soldiers in a forwarded email sent by my brother, I have been thinking that he was the actuall hero of Kargil war who fought in the Silence of the Captivity where the news also could not reach. However I would like to know more of the progress that may have taken place after signing the support for taking the matter to International human rights. I dont know where to find those latest updates. Also I dont know whether I should share this or not but after 10 years of Kargil war I saw many Newspapers bringing up the names and stories behind the other brave soldiers who fought the WAR . I was actually concerned why wasnt Media bringing up Lt.Saurabh Kalia's name. His sacrifice is one that many wouldnt have known but 'should' have known.
Anyways Thank you sir
Reading this blog about your IMA days withLT kalia also left a smile on my face.
Alok.

Prasanna Seshadri said...

Long live Saurabh, hope all the sacrifices of him and his men would bring peace in our country, thanks for sharing your experience.

Anonymous said...

Soldiers like Amar Veer Saurabh Kalia do not die --- they indeed defeat death and become "Mrityunjaya" (immortal). My most humble salutations to this brave son of Bharat Mata. He is in that galaxy of stars inhabited by the brave lions that fought Akbar's much larger army at Chittor, and the maratha braves that fought on a 3 days empty stomach at Panipat.
- Vinay

Nirmal Menon said...

Sir,

Would you be kind enough to provide me with Shaheed Captain Saurabh Kalia's Residence Address. Many thanks.

Nirmal

Rahul More said...

Dr. N.K. Kalia (Lt. Saurabh Kalia’s father)
Saurabh Nagar,
Palampur-176061
Himachal Pradesh
Tel: +91 (01894) 32065